Invited Booklet Season 1: Moving Forward in Mission
The first season of Invited brought people across our Diocese together, while exploring God’s great love for us and journeying in faith with one another saw many friendships formed. The mission doesn’t end there, and our Formation Team look forward to meeting many of you again online or in person over the coming months. This booklet highlights the many ways you can get involved in the Church both locally and across our Diocese. We hope that you will be engaged and inspired by the wide range of opportunities available, continuing our shared work and mission. Contact details are provided with each entry and we welcome people getting in touch, even it’s just to find out more!
Every year, thousands of men, women and children fall into the hands of human traffickers, becoming unpaid modern-day slaves in their own countries and abroad. Our Diocese is committed to combatting modern slavery in all its guises and has set up a Steering Group attached to our Social Action Commission which aims to:
Facilitate and co-ordinate public awareness of Modern Slavery and its abolition.
Support the practical needs of the victims of modern slavery in conjunction with relevant organisations and groups – including the provision of safe accommodation for those rescued from slavery.
Assist the Police in bringing the perpetrators to justice.
In the last few months the Diocese has been working jointly with Sussex and Surrey Police to provide safe, supervised accommodation for victims of trafficking and exploitation. Our fully furnished ‘safe house’ will provide an important haven for survivors pending a decision to enter the National Referral Mechanism.
Join this important movement for change, to find out more:
- Fighting Modern Slavery Issue 1 November 2020
- Fighting Modern Slavery Issue 2
- Fighting Modern Slavery Issue 3 May 2021
- Fighting Modern Slavery Issue 4 August 2021
- Visit the modern slavery section of our website.
- Pope Francis has regularly spoken out against slavery and human trafficking. You can read more here.
- MODERN SLAVERY ABOLITION GROUP – LOOKING FOR AMBASSADORS!
- Our Diocesan Group is working on a joint enterprise with Together in Sussex to raise awareness of modern slavery. Together we would like to recruit ‘Ambassadors’ who would be willing to be involved in the process. Briefly, they are a point of contact, trained in anti-slavery issues and will generally be part of our campaign to raise awareness of modern slavery. For more information, to express a non-obligation interest, please email Tessa.Ricketts@abdiocese.org.uk
If you would like to know about the Diocesan Ministry of Consolation speak to Father Paul (01342 710313) or contact the Marriage and Family Life Project Officer on 01293 651155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Calling all Young Adults of the Diocese (20-30 somethings)
Before the current restrictions, our Youth and Young Adults’ Advisor had plenty of big plans for helping you get to know other Catholics of a similar age, to form communities where you are free to be yourself, to explore your faith, to grow in friendship, and to be in a safe place for you to realise your Catholic identity. However, this has all had to go on hold. We cannot have a Prosecco and Praise Night and remain COVID secure! What we would like to do is invite anyone who is interested to join a focus group. This group will meet virtually to discuss the needs and desires of young adults in the Church, and, if you would like, be involved in coming up with some creative ways to meet those needs. If this sounds like a project you would like to be part of, please contact the Youth Service Secretary Rosie at email@example.com or 01293 651161
The Catholic Bishops of Arundel and Brighton 1965-2020 by Dr Paul Severn is published by the Isle of Wight Catholic History Society, price £4.00. Find out more here.
Sign up to receive the weekly Arundel and Brighton Diocese eNewsletter to find out what is happening in the Church in Surrey and Sussex, across the UK and around the globe. All free of charge.